Hey guys, first time in this sub, and first time using this software.
I've had this sitting in my steam library for a long time without coming around to touch base on it. Now it seems the time to do that!
I've come away from most AAA titles in the past few months, DMC5 being the exception, as I'm looking for something different. So I've been playing JRPGS since and I can't believe I didn't just dive into these earlier. So much more substance to them if done well!
I just have a couple of questions in regards to starting out with RMMV. I'll give you some background about me so you can deviate any guidance better:
I currently work, have enough free time to work on a project for a while. I'm a systems administrator with development experience in Java and Python, 5+ years. I've dabbled in C/C++ but it never took my liking or was the best for what I do. I'm more of a hobbyist programmer, doing it in my free time for fun. Worked on various projects, WiFi sniffers, web crawlers, automated deployment solutions (docker, etc). I've contributed to creating games, adding functionality, improving tick systems, memory management, anti-cheats, etc. But i've never worked on a real game itself such as objects and animations or hitboxes and such.
I have a lot of experience in terms of IT technicalities per say, know the lingo, can pick related things up easier as well. That does not mean it has anything to do with RMMV, I'm just not sure if that would help you help me :)
So, back to my question, finally. What would you recommend I start with on RMMV? I'm not going to try and make a full fledged game straight off the bat, I do not have the experience nor any mind on where I'd even start. I will obviously start with just getting used to the software, how it works, how everything interacts, what effects what, etc. It's the first thing I always do, play around with it and just go crazy, map it together.
I was looking around YouTube just for some pick-me-up quick overview tutorials, but they are around 3 years old some are very recent but most 3 years or plus. Would they still be safe to follow?
I also saw some documentation on RPG Makers website which I will always refer to first and surf around the forums for anything I can learn from anyone.
I'm not good at creating art, but because it's sprite and more pixelated, I think I'd have a good chance at trying. I have a lot of time spent in Photoshop since I use it often to alter my Discord servers logo amongst other things. Is there any resources that might help in terms of this?
I'm not looking to get anything out of this other than fun and experience. I love diving into new things. If I end up making a full game after enough experience I'd probably release it for free anyway.
I'm coming into this as dumb as anything, but I'd rather ask the experts here.
So, TL;DR: - Where should I start with RMMV? - are there any resources in terms of creating the art? (E.g. sprite characters, objects) - are there any major do's and don'ts when creating a game?
Sorry about the length, I'm on the way home from work and on mobile.
UPDATE: Official website - https://www.gothamknightsgame.com/
Warner Bros. Games and DC today announced Gotham Knights
*,* a brand-new open-world, third-person action RPG videogame in development from Warner Bros. Games Montréal. Gotham Knights
features the Batman Family as players step into the roles of Batgirl
, Red Hood
, a new guard of trained DC Super Heroes who must rise up as the protectors of Gotham City in the wake of Batman’s death.
Introducing an original story set in DC’s Batman Universe, Gotham Knights
offers a dynamic and interactive Gotham City where an exploding criminal element has swept through the streets. With the Belfry as their base of operations, this new era of heroes will solve mysteries that connect the darkest chapters in the city’s history and must defeat notorious villains in epic confrontations. Players must save Gotham from a descent into chaos and reinvent themselves into their own version of the Dark Knight. FEATURES
• Play as a New Guard of DC Super Heroes
– Step into the roles of Batgirl
, Red Hood
and shape Gotham’s newest protector to create your own version of the Dark Knight.
• Action-Packed, Original Story Set in DC’s Batman Universe
– With the Belfry as their base of operations, this new era of heroes will solve mysteries that connect the darkest chapters in Gotham’s history – from its soaring towers to its underground criminal network. Embark on rich storylines, including face-offs against some of the most infamous DC Super-Villains, such as Mr. Freeze, who is set on engulfing Gotham City in ice.
• Explore and Fight Crime in an Open-World Gotham City
– Patrol the dark streets of five distinct boroughs in a dynamic, interactive Gotham using a variety of traversal abilities and heroic combat moves, as well as the iconic Batcycle. From street-level crimefighting to face-offs with iconic DC Super-Villains, save the city from descent into chaos.
• Unique Character Abilities and Customization
– Each hero has unique abilities, gear, weapons and a customizable suit. Batgirl wields her melee tonfa; Nightwing uses his signature dual Escrima Sticks; Red Hood has trained to reach peak human strength; and Robin is expertly skilled with his collapsible quarter staff.
• Team Up in Two-Player, Online Co-Op
– Play Gotham Knights
solo or team up with a friend and combine strengths to protect Gotham City in two-player, online co-op. Gotham Knights
is playable either solo or as a two-player, online* cooperative experience and will be available in 2021 for PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox Series X and Xbox One X and PC.
To view and share the Gotham Knights - World Premiere Trailer
, visit: https://go.wbgames.com/GothamKnights-AnnounceTrailer
To view and share the Gotham Knights - Official Gameplay Walkthrough
, visit: https://go.wbgames.com/GothamKnights-GameplayReveal
To download official Gotham Knights
assets, visit -
4K Trailer: https://warnerbrosgames-press.com/download/127686/7fe876d01fe744486e6350e86fea895f946dc950
4K Gameplay: https://warnerbrosgames-press.com/download/127685/fb20f8e786f262337c7397d8d2d140ddee461a1d
1080p Trailers: https://warnerbrosgames-press.com/download/127689/73d9dc7c5fc6048823cd3042e168bb3c9a35040a
Additional Assets: https://warnerbrosgames-press.com/download/127684/68ed1296a95d03cdb4f1c5254f26f28a18317ae2
“With Gotham Knights
, the team at Warner Bros. Games Montréal is bringing the Batman Family of characters to life in a unique way to delight both fans and new players,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Games. “As we embark on a new era of interactive storytelling, our development team has been diligently working to create a new, in-depth experience within DC’s Batman Universe.”
“The team is thrilled to announce Gotham Knights
and share our work in bringing a different story of the DC Super Heroes to the forefront,” said Patrick Redding, Creative Director, Warner Bros. Games Montréal. “We’re looking forward to fans playing and enjoying a lot of action as this new guard of strong DC Super Heroes in Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin, while solving an original mystery set against a living, breathing Gotham City.”
In Gotham Knights
, players can explore the open-world action of Gotham and patrol the dark streets of the city’s five distinct boroughs using a variety of traversal abilities and heroic combat moves, as well as the iconic Batcycle. As Batgirl
, Red Hood
progress, their distinctive gameplay skills will evolve, along with a growing arsenal of weaponry and gear. Revealed in the Gameplay Walkthrough video
, Gotham Knights
features rich storylines for players to investigate, including face-offs against some of the most infamous DC Super-Villains, such as Mr. Freeze, who is set on engulfing Gotham City in ice.
The playable characters in Gotham Knights
- Batgirl, also known as Barbara Gordon, is a determined fighter and a skilled hacker. As the daughter of deceased Gotham commissioner, Jim Gordon, she had helped Batman as Oracle in the past. Now, after years of recovery and preparation, she is ready to step into her new role, wielding her melee tonfa, and harnessing her training in kickboxing, capoeira and jiu-jitsu.
- Nightwing is Dick Grayson, the first Robin, who was Batman’s protégé before becoming a hero in his own right. He’s a natural leader and the eldest and wisest member of the Batman Family. Nightwing’s mastery in acrobatics is complemented by his expertise use of his signature dual Escrima Sticks, making him proficient at taking out enemies.
- Red Hood, formerly known as Jason Todd, is an intense and volatile anti-hero, which stems from his death and forced resurrection by one of Batman’s most dangerous foes. Red Hood has trouble keeping his temper in check but will not hesitate to step into the line of fire when a friend is threatened. His training has given him peak human strength and proficiency in multiple combat techniques with all manner of weapons – both traditional and high-tech.
- Robin is Tim Drake, the young prodigy and genius of the team, who is a master of deductive reasoning. As a true believer in Batman’s mission, he is motivated by the conviction that Gotham City needs protecting and hopes to be the type of hero Batman personified. An expert fighter armed with his collapsible quarterstaff and skilled in a variety of stealth techniques, Robin also possesses a background in combined psychological warfare and behavioral sciences.
To learn more about Gotham Knights
, visit gothamknightsgame.com or join the community conversation on Twitter (@GothamKnights
), YouTube (GothamKnights
), Instagram (@GothamKnights
), Facebook (GothamKnights
), Discord (GothamKnights).
All assets can also be found on the Warner Bros. Games Press Site. To access, please visit the following link and click the “Register Now” button: http://www.warnerbrosgames-press.com/
. About Warner Bros. Games
Warner Bros. Games, a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc., is a premier worldwide publisher, developer, licensor and distributor of entertainment content for the interactive space across all platforms, including console, handheld, mobile and PC-based gaming for both internal and third-party game titles. Additional information can be found at www.wbgames.com
. About Warner Bros. Games Montréal
Established in 2010, Warner Bros. Games Montréal, a Warner Bros. Games development studio, designs AAA videogame experiences for players globally. Working with some of Warner Bros. Studios’ biggest brands, including DC Entertainment, the studio previously developed Batman: Arkham Origins™ and is currently working on Gotham Knights, a new open-world, action RPG set in the DC Universe. Additional information about Warner Bros. Games Montréal can be found at http://wbgamesmontreal.com
. About DC
DC is one of the largest publishers of comics and graphic novels in the world and home to some of the most iconic and recognizable characters ever created. As a creative unit of WarnerMedia, DC is charged with strategically integrating its stories and characters across film, television, consumer products, home entertainment, interactive games, and the DC Universe digital subscription service. For more information visit dccomics.com
GOTHAM KNIGHTS software © 2020 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Developed by Warner Bros. Games Montréal.
BATMAN and all related characters and elements © & ™ DC.
WARNER BROS. GAMES LOGO, WB SHIELD: ™ & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
*PlayStation®Plus required for online co-op. PS Plus is a paid-for ongoing subscription with a recurring fee charged automatically at the frequency chosen by the consumer at purchase until cancelled. Users must be over 7 years old and users under 18 require parental consent, except that users in Germany must be 18 years or older. Full terms apply, see playstation.com/legal.